Helpful Guide to Being a MC
The MC’s role is to ensure everything goes smoothly on the wedding day. This is a very important role and the person selected needs to prepare themselves well in advance of the day.
Appointing an MC for your Day
Personal attributes to look for when choosing the appropriate person include:
- Someone you know is always nice and someone confident that you can trust to do the job well.
- Appointing someone you know adds a personal touch to your day and helps your guests relax and enjoy themselves.
- Someone who is confident speaking in front of an audience and using a microphone.
- Someone who is well organised and punctual.
- Someone who has a good sense of humour and is able to keep things moving in a way that allows you and your guests to relax.
- Someone who can command attention.
Choosing and Booking a Celebrant
Choose a celebrant you both relate to and connect with. Your ceremony is a special time so ensure that this reflects both your personalities.
Book your celebrant early in the wedding planning process, especially if you are getting married in a busy wedding month. The months of January to March are particularly busy so make sure you book well in advance.
This sets the ambience throughout the day and into the evening. Select entertainment that reflects both your personalities, using entertainers who are genuinely interested in the success of your day.
Taking the bridal photos can take 1-2 hours so have some fun games organised for your guests while you are off being photographed. Photo booths are great fun, as are interactive magicians. Petanque is a great outdoor game in the summer.
De-stressing Tips for the Bride & Groom
- With so much planning going into the event, you naturally want everything to be perfect. Be realistic with your goals and expectations.
- To ease the stress on yourself, and so you can relax along with your guests, delegate as many task as possible to a responsible maid of honour, sister, friend or mother. They will be only too happy to help out.
- Choose a venue where assistance is provided in planning your day (i.e. a wedding planner in the lead up to the event and function supervisors who can manage things on the day).
- Hire decorators to decorate and theme the venue as per your wishes. It can add to the stress if you try and do this on the evening before your big day.
- Choose professionals who really care about you and your day to help you plan your wedding. The cheapest option is not always the best option.
- Plan your wedding well in advance. Do not leave things to the last minute. The more time you spend on the planning, the more successful your day will be